Meatless Monday: Creamy Vegetable Casserole
Casseroles are great. You prepare the items, dump them in a dish, pop that dish in the oven, and soon enough you have a meal. I adapted this dish from this recipe that I found on recipe.com. Originally, it had meat in it, but the chicken added so little to the recipe that I actually removed it from the equation, leaving me with a tasty vegetarian option. It’s chock full of vegetables, cheese, and rice, and I highly recommend it.
2 cups of mushrooms (I skipped over these, I have trust issues with fungus :P)
3/4 cup chopped red and/or yellow sweet pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or marjoram, crushed
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups milk
1 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
2 cups cooked brown or white rice
1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In an extra-large skillet cook and stir mushrooms, sweet pepper, onion, and garlic in hot butter over medium heat until tender.
3. Stir in flour, salt, thyme, and black pepper.
4. Slowly stir in milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
5. Stir in spinach, rice, and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
6. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
7. Bake, covered, 20 minutes.
8. Uncover and bake about 10 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.
And that’s it! Super easy, super delicious, and since I am the only one in my household, it lasted me all week long! Bon appetit!
Do you have any Meatless dishes that you would like shared? Comment your recipes below!
What a mouthwatering shot, well done 🙂