Meatless Monday: Creamy Vegetable Casserole
Casseroles are great. You prepare the items, dump them in a dish, pop that dish in the oven, and soon enough you have a meal. I adapted this dish from this recipe that I found on recipe.com. Originally, it had meat in it, but the chicken added so little to the recipe that I actually removed it from the equation, leaving me with a tasty vegetarian option. It’s chock full of vegetables, cheese, and rice, and I highly recommend it.
Picture from recipe.com
2 cups of mushrooms (I skipped over these, I have trust issues with fungus :P)
3/4 cup chopped red and/or yellow sweet pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or marjoram, crushed
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
2 cups cooked brown or white rice
1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In an extra-large skillet
cook and stir mushrooms, sweet pepper, onion, and garlic in hot butter over medium heat until tender.
3. Stir in flour
, salt, thyme, and black pepper.
4. Slowly stir in milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
5. Stir in spinach, rice, and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
6. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart rectangular baking dish
. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
7. Bake, covered, 20 minutes.
8. Uncover and bake about 10 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.
And that’s it! Super easy, super delicious, and since I am the only one in my household, it lasted me all week long! Bon appetit!
Do you have any Meatless dishes that you would like shared? Comment your recipes below!